Saturday, August 3, 2013

Playlist

Recorded

July 31, 2013
Banned Thology 2 - Banned Rehearsal

Focus or float? Either is active.

August 1, 2013
Hidden Damage - Keith Eisenbrey
bug guitar

July of 1985 was a busy time for me. Not only did I participate in nine separate improvisation sessions (including a live show) and build the Banned Day, but I also started a solo project called Summer Songs. Inspired both by Aaron Keyt's Bickleton Burger and by some work I had done in Barrytown with Jill Borner and Dan Sedia, the idea was to explore the compositional idea of self accompanied song. I would pick an instrument, sit down in front of microphones, and improvise a song. Hidden Damage was my first foray. I like how both the text and melody build themselves gradually, and how the accompaniment is both clearly periodic and vehemently fluid in tempo. The instrument used is a little 8-string kora known affectionately as the 'bug guitar'. In 2003, as a way of teaching myself how to use the sound editing capabilities of a new computer, I remixed all the summer songs. You can listen to both versions on my soundcloud site: Original - Winter Mix.

Banned Day - Banned Rehearsal

This is a mix of the first 32 session sides of Banned Rehearsal, being numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (2 sides), 11, 12, 13, 14 (2 sides), 15, 16, 17, 18 (2 sides), 19, 20, 21 (3 sides), 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, and 28. There is no Banned Rehearsal number 5, due to a technical problem with the recording device. I made the original mix using multiple cassette decks and splitter cables. I redid the whole thing a year or so ago using a digital mixer. The result is no less crudful, as you can hear here.

In Session at the Tintinabulary

July 29, 2013
Gradus 230 - Neal Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment